Our Family

Our Family

Friday, September 14, 2012

Delilah Update

Our sweet little Delilah girl is never at a loss for words. I guess it's a good sign that JT adores that about her--she obviously gets it from me.  His favorite thing in the world is to come home from work, have her hop up into his lap, and curl an arm around her as he asks her to "tell Daddy a story".  Needing no further encouragement, Delilah promptly begins saying all kinds of unintelligible things accompanied by every necessary head nod, eyebrow raise, and hand gesture.  If her "captive" audience seems to be slacking off, she has no qualms about take their face in her hands and turning it back until you are nose to nose with her. She will not be ignored! 
Her vocabulary has grown by leaps and bounds! I can't even begin to estimate how many words she knows now. I'm always being surprised by a new one or a 3 word sentence. 

Delilah isn't quite as cuddly as her twin, but she's definitely a close second. My favorite are the ones prompted by her little moments of joy. I recognize them as such because it's exactly how my mind works. I can see it happening each time. For example, for lunch today they sat at their little kids table with a peanut butter sandwich(shocker) and a glass of milk. I instituted a chugging contest and Porter won. Porter and I then began to cheer Delilah on until she finished hers. She slammed the cup back onto the table and lifting her little fists in the air and let out a wild scream of victory! Her cheeks were red and the ear to ear smile she wore couldn't have been bigger. When I leaned forward and kissed her forehead telling her that she had done a good job, I saw the moment happen. She was so proud of herself and felt so loved and happy to be here that she couldn't help the cuddle effect. She made her signature purring noise and threw herself into my arms and hugged me as hard as she could. Sometimes she shakes from the effort! I am really grateful for my cuddly little ones and really do get a big kick out of how different their cuddle moods are. Porter takes after JT 100% and Delilah is definitely mine. It's nice in that there is always a parent who understands what they're feeling and thinking. I really hope we don't lose that through the teen years.

Current obsession: All things girly
Just as Porter is into all things physical, cars, and sound effects, Delilah loves dresses, bows, and mirrors. Her daily ritual goes like this: I tell her that it's time to get dressed and she starts bolting down the hallway while screaming "DRESS!" at the top of her lungs. That isn't her agreeing with me--it's her letting me know what she WILL be wearing. I dress her in a dress and she runs into her bedroom to look at herself in the full length mirror. She smiles shyly and points at her reflection while saying "pretty". Then, as if the very thought has just slammed into her brain, she will turn on the spot and scream "BOW!" and take off for the bathroom. I will follow and brush her hair while she cries. We will pick out a bow together and she will smile happily at her reflection once it's in her hair. Then she will jump down off the counter and run back to the full length mirror one more time to take in the entire picture.  At some point during this morning ritual, Porter will decide to have some fun and stake his claim on the mirror just before Delilah gets to it. He just stands there staring at his reflection--completely immovable. Delilah will shove and whine to no avail until she comes to me crying, "my turn!" 
Having himself declared "handsome" by his mother, Porter's interest in the mirror then wanes and Delilah's monopoly on its attentions is once again set to right.
She doesn't confuse her day dresses and her princess dresses though. Unfortunately for her, she only has a Sleeping Beauty one that I purchased at a yard sale a year ago. It's 4T and WAY to big for her. But try telling her that. Every time we watch Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella, she will have me put the dress on her, hold it up by the skirts like I've taught her, wait for me to place her little crown on her head, and spin in circles until she's too dizzy to see straight. Poor Porter is pretty patient about sitting through the replays of the dancing scenes. After the 3rd time though, he starts getting a little antsy and I pull the plug.

Favorite food: CHICKENS
Delilah is never more excited for dinner than when we are having chicken, or "CHICKENS!" as she likes to call it. She is thrilled when she sees me pulling chicken out of the freezer and just starts hollering her approval over and over again. I sure didn't get quiet children. Lol.
Other than that, all her foodie likes coincide with Porter's to a T, minus the spinach.

Anyways, I figure that's enough anecdotes to keep your hearts warm for a few days. Next up is JT! See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment