Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Fourth of July!

We hope that all our family and friends are enjoying this fine sabbath Fourth of July!  It's been a nice quiet day for us. It was spent together as a family with a nice dinner to wrap up our evening.  Thanks to Lacie and Brandon for making our dinner complete! We enjoyed hot dogs, corn, and chips with salsa. It was really nice for me to catch up with Lacie and I know JT enjoyed talking and playing video games with Brandon.

Yesterday JT got our flags put up. Yay! It's so exciting to finally have them up.  The American flag is a few feet bigger than the Marine Corps one.  JT says that's as it should be. My little-big patriot. :)

On this Fourth of July I've really tried to slow down and think of what it means to me.  As someone who's really interested in history, it means dates/names/places. July 4th, 1776 the United States declared its independence from Great Britain and penned the Declaration of Independence. This was not the start of the Revolutionary War, nor was it the end of it.  When I think of how hard it was to decide to separate from England and of the price they paid to back up that decision, my heart is touched.  We tend to either ignore or glamorize history. Declaring independence from the only country they had ever known was hard.  It came with many consequences and one of those were lives.  People across the colonies split according to their loyalties and the blood of countrymen was shed on both sides.  The Star-Spangled Banner sends chills up my spine when I sing "and the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air..." I can't look at those beautiful Fourth of July fireworks without knowing what they stand for. Our forefathers committed themselves to the cause of freedom no matter the cost.  They could lose everything but they would not lose the will to fight for their convictions.  This nation has had the hand of God over it. As this Fourth of July comes to a close I give thanks for His guidance and inspiration that led this nation to freedom.  I give thanks for all those who have served and continue to serve on freedom's behalf.  I've seen where some would say that the War on Terror isn't a war about freedom.  That's up to the individual to decide, but my response is found in both the Bible and Book of Mormon. "In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppresion; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee." --Isaiah 54:14/3Nephi 22:14  We have the right to be free from terror. That is a freedom.  So in that spirit (meaning being grateful for whatever capacity they served under) I thank our servicemen and women, veterans, and my wonderful, sweet, and amazing husband Jonathan. Thank you for the service you were willing to render on our behalves.
(this photo was taken right before he got on the bus to leave for his second Iraq deployment)
And to all those who are willing to make the sacrifice that JT and I were not, thank you for leaving your spouses and your families to answer the call of your country.  My heart goes out to you (JT's 2 brothers and their families are counted among this special class of people).

Happy Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment